Wednesday, November 17, 2010

variations on a theme

Whew, it's been a while since I've updated! I was in New York for ten days, visiting my boyfriend and seeing friends and family and generally having a good time. Now I'm back to the real world, where I have way too much free time. Thus, new drawings!

A subject I think I'm always going to be obsessed with is Marie Antoinette. I'm not really sure why; I hate the movie, and I barely know anything about the actual human being. However, that didn't curb my compulsion to visit Versailles when I was in Paris, and it certainly doesn't stop me from drawing her (or people in that style) all the time. Today I was searching for drawing inspiration, and in a file of inspiration pictures on my computer I found this image:



I think it's from Vogue Italy; I can't remember where I found the scan from otherwise I would credit! I found the image hauntingly beautiful. I love the juxtaposition of the young face and the fancy dress with the round, pregnant belly. I love how she looks innocent and knowing at the same time. So I attempted my own version. Here's the sketch:



Here's the final:



Click on the images to see them bigger! I'm not sure whether I like the sketch or the final version better. I think this image hit upon why I love drawing Marie Antoinette-style things. I like contrasting the ornate dresses and finery with the sad, angsty girls wearing it. Something about it being a facade, commenting on girls being judged by looks instead of what's really going on ~inside~, etc etc blah blah blah. Or maybe I just like drawing pretty things.

1 comment: